Contact:
News and Information
(972) 925-3900

DISD Board Will Not Vote on Desegregation Case Hearing Thursday

25 Oct 2002

Superintendent Says More Time Being Provided For Review, Consideration

DALLAS—Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Moses on Friday, Oct. 25, said that the district's nine trustees will not be asked to consider calling for a hearing on the desegregation court order during their Oct. 31, 2002 monthly board meeting as had been discussed over the past two weeks.

The superintendent said the matter likely would be considered in November, but in light of the volumes of material that has been generated this week by district staff in response to a recent routine annual report from the court's monitor, Moses said it would be best to give all trustees and the public a little more time to digest the facts.

Moses said that the district will be filing a response to the auditor's report in court on Monday and that the public hearing for the board will still take place on Thursday evening, Oct. 31, as planned beginning at 5 p.m.

"We will be filing our response to the auditor's report on Monday and there is a lot of material there for one to read and to think about," Moses said. "We still believe a request for a hearing is an appropriate step, but a little more time is necessary to properly provide trustees and the public the opportunity to digest all the information available. We just want to make sure that a level playing field is available to all involved in the process."

The superintendent said the board has set aside a two-hour period to hold a public hearing on the desegregation case from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31, 2002. However, if the time is not fully used, the board is slated to begin its meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday's meeting will take place in the auditorium of the administration building located at 3700 Ross Avenue.